Aprons have been a staple homeware item for centuries. Mainly reserved for use by the woman or domestic servant of the house, until recent years, all of us now probably own an apron or two in our homes. From novelty items such as ‘kiss the chef’ motifs to practical pieces such as half and full items; a vintage apron is a great way to add a touch of retro or unique style to your home in an affordable and functional way.
What to Look For When Purchasing a Vintage Apron
When purchasing any form of antique or vintage textile item you should be aware of the following points:
- Read the Measurements: Vintage sizes differ greatly from modern-day sizing, and in general clothing of yesterday was sized far smaller than today’s clothes. Instead, when looking at a vintage apron, look at the measurements and compare them to your own.
- Research the Material: Vintage clothing (including aprons) often experimented with far more delicate materials such as lace and organza. These materials can often only be hand-washed, which suited the lifestyles of the era; as many housewives stuck to hand-washing items, but may not be convenient for modern-day use.
- Check for Damage: Review the items’os and description carefully; are there any stains or damage to the apron such as moth holes, or fraying?
- How was the item found/stored?: We’ve all been in a thrift store and smelt *that* smell. Musty and damp, this unpleasant odor can cling to vintage textile pieces and be hard to get rid of even after multiple washes. Read up in the item description about where the item was sourced, or, ask the seller/check previous reviews to avoid unpleasant pieces. The same can be said for items from smoke-free and pet-free homes, which can be a concern if you or your family have allergies.
- Upcycling Opportunities: Due to their simple construction, vintage aprons are great for upcycling into new pieces. With many aprons having enough fabulous vintage fabric to be turned into cushions or small homeware items, or even being reworked into a dress or skirt; vintage aprons can be a great way to get some killer retro fabric for a more affordable price – it just requires a little thinking outside the box!
Table of Contents
Vintage Aprons for Sale
We’ve trawled Etsy to find the best selection of vintage, antique, and retro aprons for your home or upcycle project. We’ve broken our list down into categories including different ages, styles, and themes, to help you to find the perfect piece for you.
I) Vintage aprons
1. Vintage Psychedelic Mod Bib Apron
Color: Hot pink with multicolored paisley pattern
This 1960s full apron features a psychedelic paisley design that epitomizes the era of the swinging 60s
2. Antique French Embroidered Apron
This antique apron dates to the start of the 20th century and was made in France and features delicate embroidery work.
3. Antique French apron
This antique apron was made in France over 100 years ago and features a simple design and silhouette.
4. 1950s apron, vintage, black and white with yellow trim
Color: Black and white, yellow trim
This full apron dates from the 1950s and includes a heart-shaped pocked and stand-out yellow trim detail.
5. Purple Vintage Apron
Color: Purple, white, green
This vintage half-apron dates from the 1950s and has a unique detailed waistline and patchwork pattern.
II) Vintage Aprons With Pockets
1. Vintage 1960s Hostess Apron
Color: Sheer white with green accents
This 1960s half-apron is mainly constructed from sheer fabric with green scalloping and floral pockets.
2. Vintage Green and Yellow Floral Half Apron With Pocket
Color: White, green, yellow
This long half apron has a handkerchief-style pocket and a floral design with a contrasting waistband.
3. Vintage Floral Apron with Ruffles and a Sweetheart Pocket
Color: White with floral pattern
This half apron features a ruffled hem, sinched in a waist, and an adorable heart-shaped pocket.
4. Vintage Sheer Organza and Lace Apron, with Heart-shaped Pocket
Color: Sheer white, with pale yellow flowers
This half-apron is constructed from delicate organza and lace and has a heart-shaped pocket with a subtle floral pattern.
5. Vintage Embroidered Apron, Full Apron with Pocket
Color: White with red trim
This 1960s full apron includes two pockets and a red trim with an eye-catching puppy design on the lower half.
6. Vintage Apron
Color: Brown with green and orange accents
This apron dates from around the 1970s and includes a large pocket with ric-rac trim and a patchwork pattern.
7. Beautiful Vintage Apron
Color: Blue, white, with a heart-shaped pattern
This half-apron dates from the 1950s and has ruffled edging with a delicate heart-shaped pattern and two pockets.
III) Vintage Half Aprons
1. Vintage Mid Century Waist Tie Half Apron Retro Print Cotton
Color: Red with a multi-colored design
This red half-apron has a midcentury modern-style design and features a cinched in waist.
2. Vintage Apron Kitchen Apron
Color: Red and white
This half apron has a red and white design with two pockets and ties around the waist.
3. Pretty Vintage Apron
Color: Yellow and Green
This half apron is made from floral-printed cotton and has dark green piping with a pocket.
4. Vintage Apron burlap pocket
Color: Brown, autumnal tones.
This unique half-apron has burlap pockets and stunning forest-themed fabric.
5. Antique Silk Apron Ukrainian Apron
Color: Muted gold
This antique apron is made of silk and is from Ukraine, dating from the 1930s the style of this apron is heavily influenced by Asian culture.
6. Antique Embroidered Apron Ukrainian
Color: White with red accents
This antique apron is from Ukraine and features classic Eastern European embroidery work.
7. Antique Apron Kilim Vintage Apron
Color: Plum, orange, blue
This bohemian apron features tassels and embroidery work and is uniquely long coming to ankle=level.
IV) Grandma-style Aprons
1. Retro Floral Cobbler’s Apron
Color: Purple with yellow accents
This pinafore style apron referred to as a ‘cobblers’ apron, was made around the 1970s and ties at the waist.
2. Lot of 2 Vintage Cobbler Smock Aprons
Color: Blue and pink
This pair of smock-style aprons date from the 1960s and are in contrasting colors but both with a floral pattern.
3. Bib Apron Pinafore Vintage
Color: Pastel pink and blue
This soft pastel bib-style apron was made from flour sack material in the 1930s.
4. Vintage “GOD Bless Grandma” Apron
This floral print novelty apron features a decorative pocket that reads ‘God Bless Grandma’.
5. Vintage 1960s Women’s Cooking
This baking apron features a frilled neck and has a large pocket along the bottom edge.
6. Vintage Apron Full apron Floral Print
Color: Mixed floral, orange, purple, etc.
This full apron features white piping detail and a delicate floral pattern.
V) Retro Aprons
1. Vintage Apron, Yellow, and Brown Checked
Color: Yellow and Brown
This retro half apron cinches in at the waist and has retro sunflowers printed on it which are indicative of the era.
2. Retro Vintage 50s Style Full Apron
Color: Pink and White
This sweetheart neckline full apron epitomizes the style of the 1950s era
3. Vintage Full Hostess Apron
Color: White, black, green, purple
This apron combines the frilly housewife style with the midcentury modern design both prevalent in the 1950s.
4. Vintage Red & White Polka Dot Half Apron
Color: Red and White
This red and white retro apron has a polka dot pattern and can be tied into a full bow at the back.
5. 90s Teal Blue and White Mini Polka Dot Apron
Color: Teal and white
This 90s full-length apron has two large pockets and a farmhouse-style baking motif on the front panel.
VI) Farmhouse- Style Aprons
1. Vintage 1950’s Apron // Red With White Polka Dots
Color: Red and White
This farmhouse-style apron dates from the 1950s and has a high neck, cinched waist, and embroidered detailing around the neckline.
2. Vintage Full Farm Apron, Country Farmhouse Apron with Ties
Color: Blue and white stripes
This printed apron from the 1980s features a nostalgic farmhouse scene on the front panel and a cow motif on the straps.
3. Full-Length Faux Patchwork Half Apron with Elasticized Smocked Waist
Color: Multi-colored patchwork
This unusual floor-length half apron oozes farmhouse nostalgia with a pleasing patchwork design.
4. Aprons / Vintage Cotton / Vintage Fashion
Color: Green and white
This simple half apron has a green and white checkered pattern with pockets and embroidered detailing.
5. Mid Century Smock Apron Full Cotton Apron
Color: White, yellow, red
This farmhouse-style pinafore apron features a fruit pattern with lemons and apples and has a large pocket with red trim.
VII) Pinafore Aprons
1. Pinafore Apron
This pinafore apron dates to the 1980s and includes a quirky patch pocket in the form of an apple.
2. Vintage Hostess Apron Mid Century Modern Apron
Color: Teal, pink, green
This apron has a sailor-style neckline with a bow and has two pockets with pink piping.
3. Pink Floral Full Apron
Color: Pastel pink and white
This Pinafore-style apron has a dainty floral design and two pockets with pale pink detailing.
4. 1940s Wrap Apron
Year: Modern recreation
Color: Brown with blue piping
This is an authentic recreation of a 1940’s wrap apron. Sewn-in authentic fabric with contrast piping this item perfectly matches those that were worn during wartime.
VIII) Apron Collections
1. SALE 12 Vintage Aprons Collection Large Apron Lot Retro 1950s 1960s
Color: Assorted colors
This assortment of 12 aprons dates from the 1950s and 60s and includes decorative and novelty designs.
2. Lot of 4 Vintage Aprons, 1950s 1960s Hostess Apron
Color: Green, pink, blue
This is a collection of 4 mid-century hostess-style half aprons in varying colors and styles.
3. Vintage Half Apron selection, Waist Length Cafe Aprons
Color: Assorted Colors
Here you can pick from a choice of 1950s hostess-style half aprons in various patterns.
IX) Printed Aprons
1. Vintage Cotton Apron
Color: Orange and White
This printed vintage apron has an adorable forest scene with chipmunks along its hem.
2. Cute Vintage Novelty Half Apron
This adorable novelty apron features a whimsical image printed on its pocket.
3. Floral Half Apron
Color: Yellow, blue, green
This feminine apron has a cinched waist and features an intricate printed floral design.
4. Vintage 50s Cotton Red White Polka Dot Novelty Half Apron
Color: Red and White
This novelty apron has a comical design on its front pocket and includes a cinched waist.
5. Salzburger Nockerl Recipe Apron
Color: Green, multiple colors.
This novelty apron would have been picked up by a tourist in the 1970s and features a classic Barvarian design.
X) Embroidered Aprons
1. Vintage Black and White Embroidered Apron
Color: White and Black
This simple apron dates from the 1950s and has striking black hand-sewn embroidery on each side.
2. Vintage Floral Embroidered Apron
Color: White, purple, green, yellow
This French maid-style apron has floral embroidery on its bottom edge and is hemmed with lace.
3. Vintage Embroidered Apron
Color: Beige, brown
This neutral-toned half apron features squared embroidery across its lower edge and has two pockets.
4. Vintage Half Apron
This checkered half apron has hand embroidery/cross-stitch that depicts a classic farming scene.
5. Aprons / Vintage Cotton
Color: Red, white, black
This red gingham half apron dates from the 1950s and has simple embroidered designs on the lower and top hems.
6. Pinafore Apron, Japanese Style Apron
Color: Red and white
This Japanese-style apron features hand-embroidered deep pockets.
7. Vintage Green Gingham Apron
Color: Green and white
This half apron features a cross-stitched colonial-style design on green gingham fabric.
XI) Seasonal Aprons
1. Vintage 1950 Organza Half Apron
Color: Teal, red, white
This festive apron is teal organza and features striped piping designed to imitate candy canes.
2. Vintage 50s Organza Christmas Hostess Apron
Color: White, red, green
This delicate organza hostess-style apron has embroidered holly and mistletoe and has a decorative waistband.
3. Vintage Christmas Apron
Color: Red, green, white
This Christmas apron features iconic 1960s festive designs such as Santa and Reindeer.
4. Vintage Christmas Apron
Color: Black, white, green, red
This funky vintage apron has black and white gingham with stand-out green and red printed bows.
We like to think of an apron as a little piece of social history that you can purchase for just a few bucks. A great way to add a touch of retro flair to a kitchen while still being practical, a vintage apron can also be easily upcycled, and can be an affordable way of acquiring vintage fabric. Better still, a vintage apron can also make for a fun and unique housewarming present or a thoughtful gift for the baker or home chef in your life. Whatever reason you’re looking to purchase a vintage apron, we hope our list has provided plenty of food for thought!